Congressional Crohn's and Colitis Caucus
The Congressional Crohn's and Colitis Caucus is a bi-partiisan group of Members of the House of Representatives that work together to advance policies that help patients. For example, the Caucus has been instrumental in growing the federal medical research portfolio on IBD. As more legislators join the Caucus, it grows in power and capacity to make change.
Caucus List (updated 7/25/2016)
Welcome to our newest Caucus members!
- Keith Rothfus (R-PA-12)
- Don Beyer (D-VA-8)
- Ryan Costello (R-PA-6)
- Mark Takai (D-HI-1)
- Sanford Bishop (D-GA-2)
- Luis Gutierrez (D-IL-4)
- Sean Maloney (D-NY-18)
- Adam B. Schiff (D-CA-28)
- Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA-40)
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL-23)
- David Jolly (R-FL-13)
Ask your Representative to Join the Caucus!
Outreach from constituent patients and families encourages legislators to join the Caucus. If your Representative isn't on the list, follow the instructions below and ask them to join!
- Determine your House Representative
- Check if they are on the Caucus
- If they are not on the Caucus, call their Washington, DC office
- Ask to speak with the 'health staffer'
- Relay the talking points below
- DO tell your IBD story
- DO leave a voicemail or message with another staffer if need be
- For best results, follow up with the health staffer via email and/or phone calls with similar talking points every few days until you receive a response
Suggested Talking Points:
- My name is [NAME] and I am calling from [CITY] on behalf of the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA)
- Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, collectively known as inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD), affect an estimated 1.6 million Americans
- My experience with IBD is...
- Please help our community by joining the Congressional Crohn's and Colitis Caucus, led by Representatives Ander Crenshaw (R-FL-4), and Nita Lowey (D-NY-17). The Caucus works together to support medical research on IBD as well as policies to improve patient access to care.
- Who is the best person in your office to follow up with about the Caucus? What is their phone and email?
- Please keep me informed of the actions you take by reaching me at [PHONE AND/OR EMAIL]