How to Apply
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT (June 13, 2017): Unfortunately due to decreased funding this calendar year, we will not be able to accept any further Letters of Intent until either the end of 2017 or the beginning of 2018. I urge you to periodically check on the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation’s website for instructions to investigators on submission dates for Letters of Intent. I appreciate your interest in our program and we look forward to receiving your LOIs as soon as we’re able. Thanks very much.
ANNOUNCEMENT: As of July 10, 2014, the Broad Medical Research Program (BMRP) will now begin taking Letters of Interest through Proposal Central. To access the BMRP Grant Opportunity page and begin inputting your Letter of Interest, please go to the following weblink:
- If you are new to Proposal Central, create an account by clicking the "Create One Now" button under Application Login. If you are an existing applicant on Proposal Central, log-in to your account.
- Click on the "Grant Opportunities" tab, located at the top-right corner of your profile page.
- Locate "Broad Medical Research Program at the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation" under the Grant Maker section. To review our Guidelines, please click on the small document icon next to our name under the Program section, or click here
- When you are ready to put together your Letter of Interest, click on the "Apply Now" link (located on the far right side).
Applicants should submit a brief Letter of Interest (up to three pages, not including attachments) as the initial request for funding. Investigators whose Letters of Interest fit the BMRP's criteria and areas of interest will be invited to submit a Full Grant Application.
Letter of Interest Format
The following information is part of the three-page limit:
- Title of the project
- Specific hypothesis or question to be investigated
- Data analysis
- Anticipated outcomes
The following items (except for #1) are required, but not part of the three-page limit:
- Supportive information, such as references, preliminary data or recent publications, may be included.
- State why your project fits the BMRP's criteria (see "BMRP Goals"), including its relevance and likely benefits to patients with IBD in the next several years.
- Attach the investigator’s curriculum vitae(s) or biographical sketch(es).
- Briefly describe the laboratory or clinical environment.
- Indicate the estimated total budget (see “Budget” under “Policies”) and the period for which funding is requested. Keep in mind that we are interested in funding exploratory projects in order to test new ideas and directions in IBD research. Thus, funding requests should be in concert with the foundation’s purpose.
- Provide the principal investigator’s e-mail and postal addresses.
Letter of Interest Submission
- Direct Letters of Interest to:
R. Balfour Sartor, M.D., Director
Broad Medical Research Program
- Go to https://proposalcentral.altum.com. Complete the online LOI application process, and please send your Letter of Interest and all necessary attachments onto the Proposal Central system.
- Receipt of your Letter of Interest will be acknowledged by e-mail within a few days. If you do not hear from us in a timely manner, please contact us at infoBMRP@crohnscolitisfoundation.org to make sure that your letter has been received.
- You may include suggestions for potential reviewers and also indicate individuals with potential conflicts of interest.
- Unless required by your institution, Letters of Interest may be submitted directly to the BMRP by the Principal Investigator and do not require institutional approval or signature.
- Letters of Interest are accepted and reviewed throughout the year; there are no deadlines.