There is a lot to juggle while you are in college and having IBD can make things a little difficult to balance. But remember that your health is not just inclusive of how you feel physically. Your mental health is equally important. While there is no evidence that anxiety, depression, or other emotional factors cause IBD, they do have an impact on how you experience these diseases.
In times where you are having these feelings, you may have an approach to help you cope, such as:
- Talking to someone you feel comfortable with like a friend, or a family member
- Exercise (examples: brisk walk, taking a swim, yoga, or other exercise)
- Breathing exercises
- Going out with friends
- Doing something relaxing, like a reading a book
- Talking to a psychologist or mental health professional
Do not ignore these feelings, and be sure to talk to your doctor about these mental health symptoms.
Other helpful Resources:
- Learn more about depression in IBD