Be an Advocate
Advocacy is a major component of the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation’s mission. Our advocates are not only patients, but family members, friends, caregivers, and doctors who want to make their voices heard and see a future free from Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.
Here's how you can take action today:
- Sign up for the Advocacy Network
- Email your legislators!
- Read our Advocacy Toolkit and learn how to be an advocate
As an advocate you can help us:
- Call for increased federal funding for Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis research and awareness programs designed to improve the lives of patients
- Encourage our members, volunteers, and friends to become actively involved in advancing our public policy goals
- Share personal stories and provide crucial information about the impact of these devastating diseases
- Inform and inspire elected representatives in Congress
We've already achieved great success in urging legislators to implement responsible policies that can transform the lives of the more than 1.6 million Americans living with inflammatory bowel diseases. With your help, we can accomplish even more. Learn more about our advocacy priorities.
Our Advocacy Toolkit is available for download! Take it with you and be an advocate wherever you go!
Information on the health reform debate:
The Senate has a September 30th deadline to pass an ACA repeal and replace bill via a budget resolution which only requires 51 votes to pass. The Senate is currently considering a bill introduced by Senators Lindsay Graham (R-SC) and Bill Cassidy (R-LA). Unfortunately the Graham-Cassidy bill would allow states to seek waivers from important patient protections like non-discrimination and basic coverage standards. Currently, Senators Graham and Cassidy are seeking support among their Senate colleagues for their legislation and urging leadership to bring it to the floor for a vote. The Foundation opposes this bill because of it's impact on the chronic illness community and is taking action to urge members of the Senate to vote no. To be kept informed by email of these and other advocacy efforts, join the Foundation’s Advocacy Network.
See below for additional information on the ongoing debate as well as the Foundation's healthcare reform positions:
- Email your legislators and ask them to vote NO on the Graham-Cassidy bill
- Call your legislators and ask them to vote NO on the Graham-Cassidy bill
- Link to the Graham-Cassidy ACA repeal/replace bill text and information
- Link to the webpage of the Senate Health, Education, Labor & Pensions Committee which is holding hearings on stabilizing the individual market
- Foundation position statement on the ACA and 2017 healthcare debates