Litwin IBD Pioneers Initiative
About: The Litwin IBD Pioneers initiative, formerly known as the Broad Medical Research Program at the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation, supports innovative clinical and translational research projects with the potential to impact the treatment of IBD patients in the near future. The program encourages novel research into the diagnosis, identification of clinically relevant subsets, treatments, and cures for inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) and funds innovative pilot research so that scientists can test their initial ideas and generate preliminary data. View previously funded grants.
Litwin IBD Pioneers supports researchers who are exploring all possible opportunities for diagnostic and therapeutic improvements, including novel, out-of-the-box ideas, and funds innovative and pioneering ideas that have a clinically relevant focus. Additionally, the program is open to investigators from other disciplines new to the IBD field, as well as countries outside the United States.
There is a two-step process for requesting funding for a Litwin IBD Pioneer award:
- The first step is to submit a Letter of Interest on proposalCENTRAL. Instructions and format for Letters of Interest may be downloaded here. Decisions on Letters of Interest are made within four to six weeks. If the decision falls after the deadline for submission of the full grant application, then the proposal will be reviewed in the subsequent review cycle.
- If the LOI is accepted, an invitation is extended to submit a Full Grant Application. The Grant Application instructions can be found in the same instructions document as the Letter of Interest, located on proposalCENTRAL. The schedule for grant application review and decision is listed below.
Grant proposals are selected for funding based on their scientific strength, innovation and relevance to IBD diagnosis, therapy or prevention. Preference is given to proposals for work conducted with patients or patient material and with strong potential for clinical applicability in the foreseeable future.
- The applicant institution must be a non-profit, charitable institution, such as a university, hospital, or research organization. Applications are accepted from institutions worldwide.
- The applicant who wishes to take on the Principal Investigator position must have a faculty appointment at the institution. For this, we request that the applicant's university or institution (particularly the Grants and Contracts personnel) send us a statement confirming that the applicant is or is not able to apply as a Principal Investigator from his/her institution.
- There can be only one Principal Investigator for each proposal.
Proposal Eligibility: Proposal must be relevant to IBD, which includes Crohn's disease and/or ulcerative colitis. Only one application is allowed per applicant per submission date. Simultaneous submission of the same application for other awards is not permitted.
Litwin IBD Pioneers Awards: Funding can be requested for up to two years, but grants are funded only one year at a time. If a PI wishes to seek continuation funding, funding for a second year is based upon a satisfactory Progress Report that will undergo full peer review.
Budgets should be appropriate for the project's scope of work and resources necessary to complete the goals. All necessary costs for conduct of the study can be budgeted, including items such as personnel, supplies, equipment, publications costs, and travel. There is no fixed upper or lower limit of funding, but awards are generally not funded above $130,000, including 10% indirect costs, for clinical trials; and above $110,000, including 10% indirect costs, for lab-based studies.
The Foundation uses the proposalCENTRAL system for all grants submissions. Just select the program to which you are applying. All instructions and policies are available at this site. For matters related to pre- and post-award management for the Litwin IBD Pioneers Awards, please contact Gerard Honig at email@example.com. For all other questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadlines: Before submitting a Letter of Intent (LOI) or a Full Proposal, please view the Litwin IBD Pioneers instructions and policies (.pdf).
|Letter of Intent||November 5th, 5:00 pm EST||May 5th, 5:00 pm EST|
|Online Application Submission||January 28th, 5:00 pm EST||August 13th, 5:00 pm EST|
|Applications Review||April – May||October – November|