So, you were recently diagnosed with Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis. We know this might sound scary—facing a lifelong disease can be a lot to take in. Perhaps your mind is filled with questions and concerns. It's entirely normal to have these feelings, but we are here to help you every step along your disease journey.
Let’s start with the basics: Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis (UC) are chronic (lifelong) inflammatory diseases that affect the digestive system. Together, they are known as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Crohn’s disease can affect any part of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract from the mouth to anus, while ulcerative colitis is associated with inflammation in the large intestine. IBD is often confused with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), but they are very different conditions.
Educating yourself, family, and friends about IBD will help you better manage your health. Our resources can help you:
- Learn about Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Form an effective partnership with your physician to determine the treatment plan that’s best for you
- Connect with others with IBD to get the support you need
The resources below will get you started on the path to managing your disease. As you navigate your care, you'll begin to understand how learning more about IBD treatments, nutrition, mental health, and the cost of care will help you advocate for your individual health needs. If you have specific questions, contact our IBD Help Center!
Videos for newly diagnosed patients
Explore web resources
- What is IBD?
- What is Crohn’s Disease?
- What is Ulcerative Colitis?
- Crohn's & Colitis Glossary
- GI Tract Guide
- Click here for more information on diagnosis and testing, IBD treatments, diet & nutrition, surgery, mental health and more.
Read and download brochures
- Living with Crohn’s Disease
- Living with Ulcerative Colitis
- Diagnosing and Monitoring IBD
- Managing Flares and IBD Symptoms
Click here for additional brochures and fact sheets
Support for newly diagnosed patients
Help us improve our Newly Diagnosed resources!
Tell us what you think of our newly diagnosed resources! Your feedback can help us better educate and support IBD patients.
Click here to share your thoughts and provide your feedback.
Living with Crohn's Disease...
Living with Ulcerative Colitis...