Shared Decision-making in IBD
What is shared decision-making? It's a process in which clinicians and patients work together to make decisions and select tests, treatments and care plans based on clinical evidence that balances risks and expected outcomes with patient preferences and values.¹
We've compiled the tools below to help you and your patients communicate effectively, thereby creating a positive shared decision-making experience.
Shared decision-making patient tools
- Shared Decision-Making: This one page fact sheet provides an overview of the shared-decision making process.
- Importance of Decision-Making and my Child’s IBD Treatment: A brochure you can download and share with the caregivers of pediatric patients.
- IBD Symptom Tracker: This guide helps patients keep track of symptoms and jot down questions to bring to their next appointment. Download or order copies here.
Web resources for patients
Our web page for patients includes the following:
- A webinar highlighting IBD medication treatment options as well as the importance of participating in shared decision-making with your healthcare team to determine the best treatment plan
- Infographics on steps in shared decision-making and sharing symptoms with providers
- Videos on effective patient-provider communication skills
- IBD&me - Patients answer questions in the IBD&me Decision Tree to help them through the process of choosing the best biologic medicine for them
IBD Help Center
When your patients are looking for specific resources, referrals to other organizations, or answers to questions they can’t find anywhere else, they can reach out to our helpful specialists at the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation’s IBD Help Center Monday thru Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm EST: 1-888-MY-GUT-PAIN or www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/living-with-crohns-colitis/talk-to-a-specialist/