50 years of research • education • support • advocacy
Honoring 50 Years
In 1967, Irwin and Suzanne Rosenthal, William and Shelby Modell, and Henry Janowitz, MD, motivated by personal and professional experiences, founded the National Foundation for Ileitis and Colitis -- now known as the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation. What started with a research grant of $32,000 has evolved over the past 50 years into a 38 chapter, 15,000 member organization that has funded more than $300 million in research of IBD. Read our founding story.
For five decades, the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation has been the hub of the IBD community, working to fund critical research, education, support, and advocacy programs. We could not have accomplished as much as we have without the patients, caregivers, volunteers, healthcare professionals, researchers, donors, partners, and everyone else in the IBD community, and we'd like to say thank you! You have helped to advance our mission to find cures for Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, and improve the quality of life for our patients. Thank you for your commitment, passion, and above all, incredible generosity. Read profiles of individuals and organizations who have had a profound impact on the Foundation over the past five decades.
Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT) has sent a special anniversary message honoring our 50 years. In addition, Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) has submitted a statement for the Congressional Record reflecting on our 50 years.
Join with us as we reflect on our progress over the past 50 years and commemorate our anniversary and the individuals who have helped us get where we are today. There are several ways YOU can get involved:
- Read the stories of patients, caregivers, staff members, volunteers, and more whose lives have been changed by the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation over the past 50 years. Share your own story of how the Foundation has impacted you!
- Read our anniversary press release.
- Join our exclusive Golden Giving Circle! Members of our Golden Giving Circle will be included in our limited-edition journal. This publication will review the past five decades of our history and honor the individuals who have contributed so much to our mission. Learn more about the Golden Giving Circle.
- Post on social media: Use our anniversary hashtag #CrohnsColitisFn50, and change your profile picture.
- Make a donation to support our efforts toward a future free of Crohn's & colitis.